• Changing the Way People Think About Lawyers

    Work Accidents  •  Crime Victims  •  Premises Liability  •  Defective Products

    Auto Accidents  •  Medical Malpractice  •  Brain Injuries

  • Over $100 Million for Injured Workers in Pennsylvania & New Jersey

    Work & Construction Accident Lawyers

    Jeff Laffey  •  Paul Bucci  •  Brian Kent

  • What Our Clients Say

    “I have the utmost respect for Brian, Jeff, and Paul. They left a positive mark on my life.”

    “I would highly recommend your office to others. Everyone in the office is a true professional."

  • Results Matter in Your Injury Case

    $9 million - Pennsylvania Auto Accident

    $3 million - Philadelphia Surgical Malpractice

    $2.75 million - Slip & Fall Accident

Feb 222013

A: Making a UIM claim in a car accident case is probably one of the most complex types of auto insurance claims in Pennsylvania. There are many issues which pertain to these kinds of claims. Each case is unique and you should be sure to have your case evaluated by a car accident lawyer in Philadelphia. The following is for general information only.

Whether a child can make a UIM claim on a parent’s car insurance policy depends on many factors, like where the child “resides,” whether an adult child has a separate car insurance policy,  etc. These facts determine whether certain exclusions to UIM coverage will apply to the situation.

1. Household exclusion. Let’s say an adult child lives with his or her parent. The adult child has a separate auto insurance policy, but drives a parent’s car and get into an accident. The household exclusion will generally bar the adult child from making any kind of claim on the parent’s car insurance policy, including UIM/UM coverage.

2. Regular use, non-owned exclusion. This exclusion bars a UIM/UM claim when a household member or insured was in an accident while driving another car which is not on the household car insurance policy. However, use of the other non-owned car must have been regular.

For example, let’s say we have a two household family; mom and dad are separated or divorced and have their own car insurance policies. A child who lives with mom and drives her dad’s car on a regular basis will be barred from making a UIM/UM claim on her mom’s car insurance policy if she gets into an accident in her dad’s car. Read more about the regular use non-owned UIM/UM claim exclusion here.

UIM/UM claims are notoriously complex. These kinds of claims should not be made without advice of a Pennsylvania car and truck accident lawyer.

Related Car & Truck Accident Legal Articles:

Pennsylvania Car & Truck Accident Lawyer

Our injury and accident lawyers work hard to get you compensation for injuries suffered in a car or truck accident. For more information, contact our Pennsylvania car and truck accident lawyers. Call for your free consultation. 800.220.7600

Our attorneys serve car and truck accident victims in the following areas: Allegheny County, PA; Berks County, PA; Bucks County, PA; Chester County, PA; Delaware County, PA; Lehigh County, PA; Montgomery County, PA; Northampton County, PA: Philadelphia County, PA; Atlantic County, NJ; Burlington County, NJ; Camden County, NJ; Cumberland County, NJ; Gloucester County, NJ; Salem County, NJ; New Castle County, DE; Kent County, DE; Atlantic City, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Newark, NJ; Doylestown, PA; Media, PA; West Chester, PA; Norristown, PA; Camden, NJ; Wilmington, DE; Newark, DE; Georgetown, DE; and New Castle, DE. Our lawyers can obtain special admission in other states such as New York, on a case by case basis.

**This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is crucial to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.