- Phone(215) 399-9255
Stewart Ryan regularly handles cases nationwide involving sexual and physical assaults in institutional settings including boarding schools, residential treatment facilities, hospitals, universities, sports organizations, day care centers, and schools.
He litigates cases against religious organizations who have allowed children to be abused for decades, including cases against the Catholic Church (in multiple states), Seventh-Day Adventists, Evangelical Lutheran Churches of America, various cults, including Scientology, among others.
Prior to joining Laffey, Bucci & Kent, Stewart served as Assistant Chief of the Trials Division in the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office. As a prosecutor, Stewart handled a wide variety of cases including homicides and violent crimes but he specialized in prosecuting and investigating crimes of sexual violence perpetrated against adults and children, as well as cases of physical child abuse, child exploitation, domestic violence, and elder abuse. He received numerous commendations for his tireless efforts on behalf of victims and courtroom successes.
During his time at the District Attorney’s Office, Stewart also prosecuted a number of high-profile cases including Commonwealth v. William H. Cosby Jr. In that case, he presented the testimony of past victims, handled several critical cross examinations, and made the final closing argument before the jury returned its guilty verdict.
Stewart has demonstrated a track record of fierce and passionate advocacy on behalf of individuals who have been injured or harmed. Whether a person has suffered emotional or physical injuries as a victim of crime or has been hurt through the negligence of others, he treats every case the same with the goal of achieving justice for his client.
A widely-recognized speaker, Stewart has presented to audiences across the United States and Canada on issues related to sexual violence, prevention, institutional abuse, and high-profile prosecutions. He is also regularly relied upon as a subject matter expert by local, national, and international media including Good Morning America, ABC News, and Talk Radio Europe.
Stewart is a graduate of La Salle College High School, Franklin & Marshall College, and Widener University Delaware Law School.
Areas of Practice
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer – Rising Star (2021-2022)
- Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office Unit Commendations
- August 2017, September 2016 and July 2016
- Upper Merion Police Department Unit Commendation, January 2015
- Named “30 Under 30” by Explorer, the Official Magazine of La Salle College High School, Summer 2014 Issue
- Bringing William H. Cosby, Jr. to Justice
- Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association Mid-Winter Meeting, February 2020
- Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association Spring Prosecutor’s Conference, March 2020
- Convicting Cosby: How Civil Justice Brought the First Conviction of the #MeToo Era, National Crime Victim’s Bar Association Conference, December 2019
- Bringing William H. Cosby, Jr. to Justice, 2019 Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys Council, December 2019
- Bringing Cosby to Justice: The First Conviction in the #MeToo Era
- Sexual Assault Investigator’s Association Ontario Conference, November 2019
- National Sexual Assault Conference, August 2019
- Bucks County District Attorney’s Office CLE, July 2019
- 10th Annual Criminal Law and Forensics Conference, April 2019
- Conference on Crimes Against Women, April 2019
- Prosecuting Sexual and Domestic Violence Crimes, Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office CLE, February 2019
- Town Hall on Sexual Violence, Victim Services Center of Montgomery County, November 2018
- #MeToo in Sports and Entertainment, University of New Hampshire School of Law, November 2018
- Numerous trainings for law enforcement on subjects including the investigation and prosecution of cases involving sexual assaults of adults and children, child physical abuse, internet crimes against children, and domestic violence, January 2015 – May 2018
- CBS 6, Why a masseur indicted for raping a client wasn’t arrested until CBS 6 got involved
- ABC News, Weinstein prosecutors increased chance of guilty verdict: Cosby trial attorney
- Vanity Fair, Inside the Surreal Search for 12 Impartial Weinstein Jurors
- AP News, Jury selection in Weinstein case could prove to be drawn-out
- KYW Newsradio, NJ courts busy with newly filed child sex abuse lawsuits
- Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia-area experts react to Kavanaugh’s defiant defense
- CBS 3, Former Cadet Suing Valley Forge Military Academy Over Violent Abuse Allegations
- The Legal Intelligencer, Laffey, Bucci & Kent Lawsuit Against Valley Forge Military Academy Sent Back to State Court
- ABC News, Case against Kevin Spacey may come down to alleged victim’s testimony: Experts
- American Association for Justice
- National Crime Victim Bar Association
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office: Assistant Chief of the Trials Division
- Mission Kids Child Advocacy Center: Board of Trustees and Member of the Young Friends of Mission Kids
- Victim Services Center of Montgomery County: Board of Directors, Endowment Steering Committee and Chairman, Engagement Sub-Committee
- La Salle College High School, Member, La Salle Leadership Council and Committee Member, La Salle Alumni Mentor Program
- Juris Doctor, 2012
- Widener University School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts, 2009
- Franklin & Marshall College
- New Jersey