Recent Accident & Injury Law Articles
The following articles are brought to you by the injury and accident lawyers at Laffey, Bucci & Kent. With offices in 4 states, the firm is uniquely positioned to represent clients throughout the greater Northeast area, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Delaware.
Workplace Accidents/Construction Accidents
Our work injury lawyers have recovered millions for workers injured in workplace fall accidents, equipment accidents, construction site accidents, etc. One of the most important factors in the success of a case is legal expertise in developing evidence to prove negligence against non-employer parties.
- Pennsylvania Injured Worker’s Lawsuit for Fall Accident at Work Allowed to Proceed – A Recent Look at the Borrowed Servant Rule (February 05th, 2018) What is the PA borrowed servant rule? When a work injury happens, can an injured worker file a lawsuit? The borrowed servant rule often comes into play. A recent PA court reviews the rule and finds in favor of the injured worker, who sued a contractor at work.
- Pennsylvania Work Accident FAQ – Slip & Fall Lawsuit Against Employers (February 03rd, 2018) I’m a Pennsylvania resident and slipped and fell at work. I broke my arm and was out of work for 2 months. Because the fracture didn’t heal, I will need another surgery. Can I sue my employer, even though I made a workers’ compensation claim?
- Pennsylvania Law & Factory Accidents at Work: Can Employers Be Held Liable? (February 02nd, 2018) What is Pennsylvania law for factory accidents at work? In most cases, an employer can’t be held liable, other than for a workers’ comp claim. Other parties can be held liable. Delayed investigation can ruin a valid lawsuit.
- Pennsylvania Law & Fall Accidents at Work: Liability of a Non-Employer (January 18th, 2018) What is Pennsylvania law for fall accidents at work? Can an employer be held liable? What about maintenance companies or other parties? Our Philadelphia work injury lawyers discuss legal issues in fall accidents at work.
- Work Safety & OSHA Violations List 2017 – Fall Protection Tops the List Year After Year (November 21st, 2017) Fall protection violations still top OSHA’s top 10 work safety violations. Since 2013, fall protections remain the top issue for construction workers. Falls from roofs, platforms and failure to provide/require personal fall arrest protection gear are critical safety issues.
Workers’ Compensation Accidents
Injured workers can make both workers’ compensation claims and injury claims. Make sure you speak to a lawyer to learn whether you have a viable case. Don’t rely solely on workers’ compensation to keep your family afloat after a serious work accident.
- Can I sue workers’ compensation for pain and suffering? (June 14th, 2017) Can you sue workers compensation for pain and suffering? Workers’ compensation won’t pay for pain and suffering, but will pay for medical bills and disability from work. In some cases, lump sum payments may be made via workers’ comp for major injuries like the loss of a limb or eye.
- Can I sue workers’ comp for pain and suffering in Pennsylvania? (June 20th, 2016) Can I sue workers’ comp for pain and suffering? Our PA work injury lawyers discuss injured workers’ rights to pain and suffering compensation.
- PA Workers’ Compensation Law Update (Nov. 2015) (November 17th, 2015) In a recent case, the Pennsylvania Superior Court declined to apply the exclusivity provision of the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act. In this case, the workers’ compensation insurance company was sued for aggravating a non-work related injury–the plaintiff’s mental anguish due to sexual molestation suffered as a child.
- Pennsylvania Work Accidents & Claims for Lost Pay/Wages (Part 2) (November 11th, 2014) Workers who are seriously injured and unable to return to work often want to know whether they can receive benefits for lost wages or disability pay. While some employees have employer-paid disability insurance, many do not. Therefore, many seriously injured workers in PA are put in tough financial positions. Part 1 of this article discussed how ...
- Pennsylvania Work Accidents & Claims for Lost Pay/Wages (Part 1) (November 11th, 2014) Every day, workers across Pennsylvania are injured in work related accidents. The three most common types of work injury accidents are: fall accidents (slip, trip and falls or falls from heights), machinery/product accidents (forklift accident), and auto accidents. Most workers and employees who are injured in work related accidents do not suffer any serious or major injuries. For example, ...
Crime Victim Injuries
Crime victims deserve justice. Filing a criminal case is just one avenue to justice. Crime victims have legal rights to also file civil lawsuits to obtain financial recovery for their injuries and damages.
- Sarasota, Florida Massage Therapist Arrested, Other Victims Expected (February 14th, 2018) A Sarasota, Florida massage therapist who was employed at Massage Envy was arrested after 2 women came forward with allegations that of inappropriate contact during a massage. Sarasota police are seeking additional victims.
- NY Nichols School Sex Abuse Investigation Shows Decades of Misconduct by Teachers – Our Law Firm is Investigating (January 25th, 2018) The Nichols School in Buffalo, New York was recently investigated for sex abuse by teachers over decades. The school’s own investigation reveals that school officials often knew about misconduct or inappropriate behavior by specific teachers, but failed to take appropriate action. Laffey, Bucci & Kent is calling for victims and witnesses to contact the firm. ...
- Pennsylvania Schools & Colleges – Civil Liability for Hazing by Students (January 16th, 2018) Civil liability for hazing at colleges, middle and high schools in Pennsylvania. A look at new amendments to PA Antihazing law and the requirement that schools adopt written policies and provide them to athletic coaches.
- Pennsylvania’s Criminal Hazing Law (January 16th, 2018) Pennsylvania Hazing Law provided here: Title 24 PA Statutes § 5352 Definitions; § 5353 Hazing prohibited; § 5354 Enforcement by institution and secondary school. Our PA crime victim lawyers also discuss recent amendments in 2016.
- Pennsylvania Fraternity Sentenced & 4 Members Given Jail in Hazing Death (January 10th, 2018) Jan. 2018: A national frat was banned from operating in PA after the 2013 death of a NY student at a hazing event in the Poconos, PA. 4 members of the frat were given jail sentences.
Premises Liability (Fall Down Accidents)
Fall down accidents (slip, trip and fall accidents) are complex injury cases. You must determine who the correct parties (defendants) are and develop sufficient evidence of negligence.
Defective Product Injuries
Defective product injuries are increasing every year. Can you recover for your injuries?
Auto accidents like car, truck and pedestrian accidents are very common in big cities like Philadelphia. Many injured individuals don’t know their legal rights or how insurance works.
- Car Accidents on the Highway in Philadelphia – Legal Info When Serious Injuries or Deaths Occur (February 13th, 2018) Get legal info about serious and fatal car accidents on highways in Philadelphia. Victims can make claims for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. Family members of the deceased can file wrongful death, survival actions. Other parties may be liable as well, such as a bar, product manufacturer, state/government highway entity, etc.
- Takata Air Bag Recalled Due to Risk of Explosion, 37 Million Cars Affected (January 25th, 2018) Millions of cars in the U.S. are being recalled in one of the largest consumer safety recalls in recent history. The Takata air bag may explode when deployed, causing serious injury and even death. The recall began in 2015 and has been expanded since then, affecting the majority of models, including Acura, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, ...
- Philadelphia Car and Bicycle Accidents – What You Need to Know About Medical Expenses (January 24th, 2018) Who pays for an injured cyclist’s medical expenses if injured in a car-bicycle accident? If the cyclist has a car insurance policy, the medical expenses would be covered by the cyclist’s own auto policy. See discussion here.
- Snow & Auto Accidents in Philadelphia – Legal Info After an Accident (January 17th, 2018) Car accidents in Philadelphia due to snow, ice or rain are very common during the winter. Here, our car accident lawyers take a look at common causes of winter car accidents and legal rights for injured drivers and passengers.
- Philadelphia Intersection & Left Turn Car Accidents – A Look at Pennsylvania Vehicle Code Laws (November 10th, 2017) Intersection car accidents in Philadelphia are very common. Our Philly car accident lawyers look at intersection and left turn vehicle code laws and how injured parties prove fault.
Medical negligence happens every day in doctor’s offices and hospitals across the country. Oftentimes, patients and their families need answers.
- Pennsylvania Medical Malpractice Lawsuits – Costs for the Initial Evaluation (October 25th, 2017) When evaluating a PA medical malpractice case against a hospital, doctor or surgeon, the extent of the injuries and damages must first be assessed. If the injuries are serious enough, the case would warrant proceeding to the next phase – hiring a medical expert to review the case.
- Medical Errors in Pennsylvania – 2016 Info on Serious Harm Events, Incidents and More (June 13th, 2017) While patient deaths due to medical errors appears to be down in PA, the number of near-misses and medication errors due to technology are increasing. Here, our PA medical error injury lawyer takes a look at 2016 data.
- Hospital & Medical Negligence or Misdiagnosis as a Factor in Sepsis Infections (November 08th, 2016) Medical or hospital negligence can lead to misdiagnosis of an infection. Sepsis is a emergency medical condition that can lead to death if not treated properly.
- Pennsylvania Medical Malpractice Lawsuits Decreasing, But Deaths Due to Medical Errors Increasing (October 10th, 2016) Pennsylvania medical malpractice lawsuits are decreasing, while deaths due to medical errors increasing. Get the latest info about medical malpractice lawsuit filings in Pennsylvania.
- Medical Malpractice Lawsuits in Pennsylvania – Decreasing in Number But Increasing in Verdict Amount (October 05th, 2016) A look at data on medical malpractice lawsuits in Pennsylvania 2000-2015. Though there has been a decrease in the number of medical malpractice lawsuits overall, some counties have seen a sharp increase. Our experienced medical malpractice lawyers weigh in.
About Our Philadelphia Accident & Injury Lawyers
Founded in 2009, Laffey, Bucci & Kent focuses on personal injury and accident cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area. Our lawyers are skilled trial lawyers who have handled multiple, high profile cases, including one crime victim case involving charges of child molestation against a sitting state court judge in Delaware.
Firm partners, Jeff Laffey, Paul Bucci and Brian Kent, take great pride in representing individuals injured in accidents. For a free consultation, please call 800.220.7600.
*Disclaimer: The lawyers at Laffey, Bucci & Kent provide legal advice to individuals after accepting their case. No attorney-client relationship is created by this website. Nothing on this site is intended to provide legal advice. Because every case is unique, discussion of prior outcomes and settlements in past cases is no guarantee of a similar outcome in current or future cases.