Pennsylvania and New Jersey Crime Victim Injuries Law Library – Civil Lawsuits
The following articles, frequently asked questions, blogposts and news articles are for information only. Prior to making any decisions about your case, it is vital to contact an experienced, knowledgeable lawyer.
Page last updated: January 23, 2017
Crime Victims Law Articles
- Crime Victim Injury Lawsuits in Philadelphia (April 6, 2017) Legal info about Philadelphia crime victim injury cases. Businesses can be held liable if there is enough evidence that the business owed a duty of care to the victim and should have known about the crime before it happened.
- Victims’ Rights to Financial Compensation in a Civil Lawsuit for Crime in Pennsylvania and New Jersey (March 22, 2017) Learn about civil lawsuits for shootings or assaults in Pennsylvania and New Jersey: who are the liable parties? Businesses, hospitals and other entities may be held liable, which may provide victims with financial compensation.
- Shootings & Assaults – Victims’ Rights to Restitution in Pennsylvania and New Jersey (March 22, 2017) Get legal info about a victim’s right to receive restitution after a shooting or assault in Pennsylvania or New Jersey. The statutes are discussed, as well as info about the claims.
- Philadelphia Private School Teacher Sentenced in Criminal Child Molestation Case in New Jersey (February 28, 2017) A former private school teacher from Phila. PA was sentenced for sex abuse in New Jersey. 3 former students have come forward with reports of sex abuse in the 1970s at the school.
- Grand Jury: Solebury School in Pennsylvania Failed to Protect Students from Sex Abuse (February 16, 2017) A Jan. 2017 grand jury report reveals that the Solebury School failed to conduct any investigations into allegations of sex abuse of students by teachers over a 55+ year period. All but one of the cases is barred by PA’s criminal statute of limitations law.
- Catholic High School Teacher at Bishop McDevitt in Pennsylvania Pleads Guilty to Sex Abuse of Students 2017 (March 14, 2017) A catholic high school teacher at Bishop McDevitt High School in Harrisburg pled guilty to sex abuse of students, after facing over 150 charges.
- Laffey, Bucci & Kent Attorneys Investigate Child Sex Abuse at Delaware Day Care Center (March 1, 2017) Our lawyers are investigating Kidz, Ink day care in Delaware after a school employee was convicted of sexually molesting a child. Witnesses and victims are urged to contact the firm.
- Laffey, Bucci & Kent Investigating Sex Abuse Allegations at Seventh Day Adventist Schools in Tennessee and West Virginia (January 23, 2017) Our lawyers are investigating child molestation at Seventh Day Adventist schools in Tennessee and West Virginia, Advent Home Learning Center in Calhoun, TN and Miracle Meadows School in Salem, WV. Victims of abuse and any witnesses are invited to contact the firm.
- Child Molestation Allegations at ReJoyce Christian School in Hainesport, New Jersey (January 20, 2017) Child molestation allegations @ ReJoyce Christian Pre-School in Hainesport, New Jersey. Our lawyers are investigating and would like to speak to any witnesses and parents of children who are currently enrolled or were enrolled.
- Pennsylvania Attorney Brian Kent Files Lawsuit Against PA College and Fraternity for Assault, Murder of Student (January 18, 2017) Brian Kent files federal lawsuit against Millersville University, a fraternity and other parties for the murder of Karlie Hall, an 18 year old student. The legal claims include violation of federal laws and state laws, as well as negligence. The legal complaint alleges that Hall was murdered because agents of the school had knowledge of, ...
Crime Victims Law FAQs
- I just found out that my teenage daughter had sexual contact with her coach at a private school in Pennsylvania. What should I do? (March 8, 2017) There are widespread reports of sexual misconduct by school employees across Pennsylvania. Teachers, coaches and assistants often engage in inappropriate behavior with students, young and old. In some cases, sexual assault can occur. What should parents do if they discover that their child has had such contact with a school employee?
- My daughter was sexually assaulted at a school in Pennsylvania. What are her legal rights? (May 2, 2015) Sexual violence is a serious problem in this country, including Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Over the past few years, there have been multiple, high profile cases of both student-on-student assault and teacher-on-student assault just in Pennsylvania alone. Students’ Legal Rights for School-Related Assaults & Abuse in Pennsylvania Your daughter has legal rights in both the criminal and ...
- 2 PA & NJ Teachers Accused of Sexually Abusing Students (2014) – What’s Going On?! (October 9, 2014) The recent news involving teachers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania is quite alarming. Late last month, two teachers were charged with sex offenses related to students; one in Pennsylvania and the other in New Jersey. For legal info about school-teacher sexual abuse and assault, visit our law library. Pennsylvania Middle School Teacher Arrested for Having Sex with ...
- My son was accidentally shot by a friend in Philadelphia. What are his legal rights? (September 18, 2014) Answer: Under Pennsylvania law, victims in Philadelphia shooting cases are entitled to pursue legal action in both the criminal and civil courts. This is something that no one sits down and ever explains to a shooting victim and their family. In addition, these two cases are totally independent of each other. In general, the outcome ...
- Pennsylvania Civil Sex Abuse Law: Should you file a civil lawsuit? (July 23, 2014) What should victims of sex abuse know about filing a civil lawsuit? Question: What should victims of sex abuse know about filing a civil lawsuit in Pennsylvania? Answer: Sex abuse and assault is a stain on society that leave long lasting marks. Some victims of sex abuse or assault never recover at all. Many become addicted to ...
Crime Victims Law Blogposts
- Iowa Teacher, Arrested for Sex Abuse of Student, Blames School District (August 10, 2016) An Iowa teacher accused of sexual exploitation of a student is firing back at the school, blaming officials for knowing about the acts but failing to take any action. Our law firm keeps up to date on the problem of school sex abuse in this country. Get the latest here.
- HB 1947’s Retroactive Clause Gutted by the Pennsylvania Senate – Victims Still Waiting for Justice (July 7, 2016) Pennsylvania statute of limitations laws for victims of child sex abuse are likely to be amended this year. But what about the civil window? The civil window was just removed by the Senate. Get the latest here.
- PA School Driver Charged With Sexually Assaulting Special Needs Students (February 8, 2016) A PA school bus driver was charged with sexually abusing special needs students. Brian Kent, a PA sex abuse lawyer, discusses victims’ legal rights in such situations.
- PA Teacher Student Sex Abuse & Crime Victim Lawsuit – Former PA Teacher’s Aid Loses Appeal (November 16, 2015) Recent school sex abuse news about a school sex abuse case involving a teacher’s aide and 18 year old student. The PA appeals court denied the teacher’s appeal.
- Pennsylvania Lawmakers May Open Civil Window for Child Sex Abuse Lawsuits (May 15, 2015) For immediate release, May 15, 2015 The Pennsylvania legislature is considering a new law which would open a special window for survivors of child sex abuse. This isn’t the first time Pennsylvania legislators have tried to get this law passed. In 2013, a similar amendment was introduced but never made it out of the judiciary committee. Senate ...
If you or a loved one was seriously injured due to the criminal conduct of others in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or New York, contact our experienced, highly rated crime victims civil justice lawyers for a free, confidential consultation. 215.399.9255; 800.220.7600
PA & NJ Crime Victim Injury Resources
Pennsylvania Office of Victim Services
The Pennsylvania Office of Victim Services is an office of the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The website provides PA crime victims, including those sexually abused, with information about their rights and about the criminal and juvenile justice systems. The site also provides information about how victims can get help through counseling and services. Click here to visit the PA Office of Victim Services.
Pennsylvania’s Victims Compensation Assistance Program
The Victims Compensation Assistance Program helps victims and their families through the aftermath of a crime and provides financial compensation. Victims may be reimbursed for the following:
- medical expenses
- loss of earnings
- loss of support
- funeral costs
- travel costs
- stolen cash
- crime scene cleanup
- other costs
Click here for more information about the Victims Compensation Assistance Program or call 800-233-2339.
The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape (PCAR)
PCAR was founded in 1975, and it offers services and resources for sex abuse victims, their loved ones and their families. PCAR also works to end sexual violence and advocates for the rights and needs of sexual assault victims. PCAR partners with rape crisis programs throughout Pennsylvania to bring help, hope and healing around issues of sexual violence.
Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests (SNAP)
Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests (SNAP) offers help for victims of priest sex abuse. SNAP’s website provides resources and information for those sexually abused by the clergy. SNAP has support groups throughout the country, including Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Contact: Karen Polesir
|New Jersey Regional Office
Contact: Mark Crawford, Director NJ
Contact: Frances Unglo – Samber
Contact: Mark Crawford
Contact: Juliann Bortz
Contact: Barbara Polesir, Director
Contact: Barbara Dorris
For other SNAP support groups throughout the country, visit www.snapnetwork.org or call 800-762-7432.
New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault
The New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault (NJCASA) is the statewide advocacy and capacity building organization that represents the rape crisis centers in 21 NJ counties and the Rutgers University Office of Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance. NJCASA advocates for survivors, and its mission is to promote the compassionate and just treatment of survivors and their families. Each county in New Jersey has at least one agency dedicated to helping victims of crime.
Our personal injury attorneys serve victims in the following areas: Allegheny County, PA; Berks County, PA; Bucks County, PA; Chester County, PA; Delaware County, PA; Lehigh County, PA; Montgomery County, PA; Northampton County, PA: Philadelphia County, PA; Atlantic County, NJ; Burlington County, NJ; Camden County, NJ; Cumberland County, NJ; Gloucester County, NJ; Salem County, NJ; New Castle County, DE; Kent County, DE; Atlantic City, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Newark, NJ; Doylestown, PA; Media, PA; West Chester, PA; Norristown, PA; Camden, NJ; Wilmington, DE; Newark, DE; Georgetown, DE; and New Castle, DE. They also work with lawyers nationwide and can obtain special admission in other states on a case by case basis.