Clergy and Priest Abuse
Representation by a Former Sex Crimes Unit Prosecutor
As a former sex crimes unit prosecutor, Brian Kent is passionate about justice for all victims of abuse. Prior to entering the civil arena, he worked as an Assistant District Attorney prosecuting sex offenders. This gives him a unique perspective on civil liability in abuse cases. He knows how to conduct the civil case while the criminal case may be pending, to maximize a victim’s chance of financial recovery.
Major Victories by Our PA/NJ Sex Abuse Victims Rights Lawyers
- Six Figure Recovery – A man who was sexually abused when he was a child by a judge came forward years later and filed suit against the judge, which resulted in an admission of the abuse, resignation from the bench and disbarment
- Six Figure Recovery – A teen who was sexually abused by her high school teacher came forward years later and filed suit against the school for failing to stop the abuse after having knowledge of it
- Six Figure Recovery – A student who was sexually harassed and assaulted by a high school teacher
Civil Justice for Victims of Child Molestation, Priest Abuse, Sexual Assault, and Sex Abuse
Victims of child molestation, priest or clergy abuse, sexual assault, and sex abuse deserve justice in the civil justice system. The civil justice system allows victims to seek financial compensation for the physical, mental, emotional and economic damages caused by the abuse. However, many crime victims don’t know of their right to seek such compensation and oftentimes end their search for justice at the conclusion of the criminal case.
Child molestation, priest and clergy abuse, sexual assault, and sex abuse are all too common and are often perpetrated by people we trust such as:
- day care center employees
- priests or religious leaders
- camp counselors
- nursing home employees
- professionals such as doctors, dentists, counselors, psychologists and therapists
Rights of Victims of Child Molestation, Priest or Clergy Abuse, Sexual Assault, and Sex Abuse in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey
The laws in Pennsylvania and New Jersey clearly provide for liability in child molestation, priest/clergy abuse, sexual assault or sex abuse cases. In many situations, parties other than the perpetrator are legally liable for the abuse. Any person or business acting through its employees, who failed to report or prevent the abuse after suspecting the abuse or who actively concealed the abuse, is a potential defendant. Any landlord or property management company which unreasonably failed to provide adequate security resulting in assault on their property can be held liable. Liability is based on case law in Pennsylvania and New Jersey which establish the standard of care and liability for any of the following actions or inactions:
- failing to conduct reasonable background checks on employees
- failing to conduct a reasonable investigation
- hiding or concealing the abuse
- failing to report the abuse
- failing to prevent the abuse
- failing to train employees on the policies regarding mandatory reporting of abuse
- failing to have a policy in place regarding mandatory reporting of abuse
- negligent security resulting in access by criminals
Pennsylvania and New Jersey Child Molestation, Priest Abuse, Sexual Assault and Abuse Lawyers
At the Philadelphia, PA and NJ personal injury accident law firm of Laffey, Bucci & Kent, our experienced attorneys are committed to providing quality representation and individual attention to their clients and their clients’ families. Our highly rated crime victims civil justice attorneys have many solid years of experience handling child sex abuse, child molestation, priest/clergy abuse and sexual assault cases.
LBK partner, Brian Kent, is a former sex crimes unit prosecutor with unique perspective and knowledge of both the criminal and civil justice systems. He has been featured in local and national news about his expertise in the area of child molestation and sex abuse. He brings his passion for justice for crime victims to each of his cases.
If you or a loved one was a victim of molestation, priest/clergy sex abuse or sexual assault in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or New York contact our experienced, highly rated crime victims rights lawyers for a free, confidential consultation. 215.399.9255/800.220.7600
Our personal injury attorneys serve accident victims in the following areas: Allegheny County, PA; Berks County, PA; Bucks County, PA; Chester County, PA; Delaware County, PA; Lehigh County, PA; Montgomery County, PA; Northampton County, PA: Philadelphia County, PA; Atlantic County, NJ; Burlington County, NJ; Camden County, NJ; Cumberland County, NJ; Gloucester County, NJ; Salem County, NJ; New Castle County, DE; Kent County, DE; Atlantic City, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Newark, NJ; Doylestown, PA; Media, PA; West Chester, PA; Norristown, PA; Camden, NJ; Wilmington, DE; Newark, DE; Georgetown, DE; and New Castle, DE.