Recent Accident & Injury Law Articles
The following articles are brought to you by the injury and accident lawyers at Laffey, Bucci & Kent. With offices in 4 states, the firm is uniquely positioned to represent clients throughout the greater Northeast area, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Delaware.
Workplace Accidents/Construction Accidents
Our work injury lawyers have recovered millions for workers injured in workplace fall accidents, equipment accidents, construction site accidents, etc. One of the most important factors in the success of a case is legal expertise in developing evidence to prove negligence against non-employer parties.
- Work Accident Injury Lawsuits in Pennsylvania & New Jersey – How Long Do They Take? (March 10th, 2017) What is the time line for filing a work accident injury lawsuit in Pennsylvania or New Jersey? Learn about what affects resolution of a lawsuit for work injuries.
- New Jersey Work Accident & Injury Law – Right to Compensation (March 06th, 2017) New Jersey Work Accident & Injury Law – Right to Compensation New Jersey residents are injured or killed in work accidents every day. In the most serious cases, the injuries will result in disability. Can injured workers get compensated for their work injuries?
- New Jersey Work Accident Lawsuit Involving a Forklift Injury at a Port Terminal – A Case Study (February 23rd, 2017) Read this case study about a New Jersey work accident lawsuit for a forklift accident at a dock/terminal. The case ended in a multi-million recovery for the injured worker.
- Work Accidents in Pennsylvania & New Jersey – How Medical Bills Get Paid (February 23rd, 2017) How do medical bills get paid after a work accident in Pennsylvania or New Jersey? Learn about workers comp laws, injury lawsuits and more.
- New Jersey Worker Dies After Electric Shock, Fall From Ladder, Employer Gets 5 OSHA Citations (January 11th, 2017) A New Jersey hospital received 5 citations and a $175,000 penalty for allegedly violating OSHA electric shock hazard regulations. The citations and penalties were in response to a fall electric shock accident that happened when a worker was changing a ballast.
Workers’ Compensation Accidents
Injured workers can make both workers’ compensation claims and injury claims. Make sure you speak to a lawyer to learn whether you have a viable case. Don’t rely solely on workers’ compensation to keep your family afloat after a serious work accident.
- Can I sue workers’ comp for pain and suffering in Pennsylvania? (June 20th, 2016) Can I sue workers’ comp for pain and suffering? Our PA work injury lawyers discuss injured workers’ rights to pain and suffering compensation.
- PA Workers’ Compensation Law Update (Nov. 2015) (November 17th, 2015) In a recent case, the Pennsylvania Superior Court declined to apply the exclusivity provision of the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act. In this case, the workers’ compensation insurance company was sued for aggravating a non-work related injury–the plaintiff’s mental anguish due to sexual molestation suffered as a child.
- Pennsylvania Work Accidents & Claims for Lost Pay/Wages (Part 2) (November 11th, 2014) Workers who are seriously injured and unable to return to work often want to know whether they can receive benefits for lost wages or disability pay. While some employees have employer-paid disability insurance, many do not. Therefore, many seriously injured workers in PA are put in tough financial positions. Part 1 of this article discussed how ...
- Pennsylvania Work Accidents & Claims for Lost Pay/Wages (Part 1) (November 11th, 2014) Every day, workers across Pennsylvania are injured in work related accidents. The three most common types of work injury accidents are: fall accidents (slip, trip and falls or falls from heights), machinery/product accidents (forklift accident), and auto accidents. Most workers and employees who are injured in work related accidents do not suffer any serious or major injuries. For example, ...
- Can You Sue Your Employer for a Work Accident in Pennsylvania? (Part 2) (October 10th, 2014) Workers’ Compensation Law in Pennsylvania – The Exclusive Remedy As a general rule, after a work accident occurs in Pennsylvania, an injured worker is usually limited to receiving workers’ compensation benefits. This is mandated under Pennsylvania workers’ compensation law and is known as the exclusivity principle. However, this only applies against the employer. This rule does ...
Crime Victim Injuries
Crime victims deserve justice. Filing a criminal case is just one avenue to justice. Crime victims have legal rights to also file civil lawsuits to obtain financial recovery for their injuries and damages.
- Victims’ Rights to Financial Compensation in a Civil Lawsuit for Crime in Pennsylvania and New Jersey (March 22nd, 2017) Learn about civil lawsuits for shootings or assaults in Pennsylvania and New Jersey: who are the liable parties? Businesses, hospitals and other entities may be held liable, which may provide victims with financial compensation.
- Shootings & Assaults – Victims’ Rights to Restitution in Pennsylvania and New Jersey (March 22nd, 2017) Get legal info about a victim’s right to receive restitution after a shooting or assault in Pennsylvania or New Jersey. The statutes are discussed, as well as info about the claims.
- Access to the Courts in Child Sex Abuse Cases – Pennsylvania Legislation Update 2017 (March 06th, 2017) In the 2016-2017 legislative session, Pennsylvania lawmakers are considering major changes to civil statute of limitations laws in cases of child molestation. The Senate and House have different views on whether to increase access to the courts for victims of abuse whose cases are now too old to be filed.
- Philadelphia Private School Teacher Sentenced in Criminal Child Molestation Case in New Jersey (February 28th, 2017) A former private school teacher from Phila. PA was sentenced for sex abuse in New Jersey. 3 former students have come forward with reports of sex abuse in the 1970s at the school.
- Penn State Fraternities Barred from Serving Alcohol After Student Dies (February 14th, 2017) Effective Feb. 2017, Penn State fraternities are now barred from serving alcohol on campus events. The ban comes after an underage student died after a frat party.
Premises Liability (Fall Down Accidents)
Fall down accidents (slip, trip and fall accidents) are complex injury cases. You must determine who the correct parties (defendants) are and develop sufficient evidence of negligence.
Defective Product Injuries
Defective product injuries are increasing every year. Can you recover for your injuries?
Auto accidents like car, truck and pedestrian accidents are very common in big cities like Philadelphia. Many injured individuals don’t know their legal rights or how insurance works.
- What to Do After a Philadelphia Car Accident (March 01st, 2017) Philadelphia car accident lawyer discusses what you should do after a car accident in Philadelphia, PA.
- Claims for Lost Wages After a Car Accident in Philadelphia (January 17th, 2017) All about lost wages claims (AKA: income loss) after an auto accident in Philadelphia. These claims are subject to a 5 day waiting period and are capped at 80% of the gross income. The coverage limits vary.
- Can You Sue with Limited Tort in Pennsylvania or Limitation on Lawsuit in New Jersey? (Part 2) (January 03rd, 2017) Limited tort in Pennsylvania or limitation on lawsuit in NJ can negatively affect your ability to get full compensation for auto accident injuries. Learn more about how limited tort law affects PA residents when driving in New Jersey.
- Can You Sue with Limited Tort in Pennsylvania or Limitation on Lawsuit in New Jersey? (Part 1) (December 29th, 2016) Can you sue if you have limited tort or verbal threshold in Pennsylvania or New Jersey? How does limited tort or verbal threshold affect your ability to get full compensation?
- Pennsylvania Auto Insurance – Limited Tort Versus Full Tort (November 15th, 2016) What’s the difference between limited tort and full tort for Pennsylvania car insurance? The tort election affects your ability to get compensation from a negligent driver when an auto accident occurs, such as a pedestrian or truck accident.
Medical negligence happens every day in doctor’s offices and hospitals across the country. Oftentimes, patients and their families need answers.
- Hospital & Medical Negligence or Misdiagnosis as a Factor in Sepsis Infections (November 08th, 2016) Medical or hospital negligence can lead to misdiagnosis of an infection. Sepsis is a emergency medical condition that can lead to death if not treated properly.
- Pennsylvania Medical Malpractice Lawsuits Decreasing, But Deaths Due to Medical Errors Increasing (October 10th, 2016) Pennsylvania medical malpractice lawsuits are decreasing, while deaths due to medical errors increasing. Get the latest info about medical malpractice lawsuit filings in Pennsylvania.
- Medical Malpractice Lawsuits in Pennsylvania – Decreasing in Number But Increasing in Verdict Amount (October 05th, 2016) A look at data on medical malpractice lawsuits in Pennsylvania 2000-2015. Though there has been a decrease in the number of medical malpractice lawsuits overall, some counties have seen a sharp increase. Our experienced medical malpractice lawyers weigh in.
- Philadelphia Hospital Malpractice News, April 2016 – Million Dollar Verdicts (May 17th, 2016) Juries in Philadelphia and Delaware counties have found in favor of patients in 2 medical malpractice cases involving the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Crozer Keystone. Get the latest medical malpractice lawsuit news here.
- Pain & Suffering in a Pennsylvania Medical Malpractice Case (March 22nd, 2016) What is Pennsylvania medical malpractice law? Here’s a look at pain and suffering in medical malpractice lawsuits in PA. What financial compensation is available for pain and suffering?
About Our Philadelphia Accident & Injury Lawyers
Founded in 2009, Laffey, Bucci & Kent focuses on personal injury and accident cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area. Our lawyers are skilled trial lawyers who have handled multiple, high profile cases, including one crime victim case involving charges of child molestation against a sitting state court judge in Delaware.
Firm partners, Jeff Laffey, Paul Bucci and Brian Kent, take great pride in representing individuals injured in accidents. For a free consultation, please call 800.220.7600.
*Disclaimer: The lawyers at Laffey, Bucci & Kent provide legal advice to individuals after accepting their case. No attorney-client relationship is created by this website. Nothing on this site is intended to provide legal advice. Because every case is unique, discussion of prior outcomes and settlements in past cases is no guarantee of a similar outcome in current or future cases.