For immediate release, October 9, 2013
The Consumer Product Safety Commission in conjunction with a product manufacturer has issued a recall of over 5,000 TS 55 REQ Plunge Cut Circular Saws.
The potential hazard involved with these saws is a defect with the plunge lock. It can engage when not intended and therefore cause the saw blade to remain exposed. This poses a potential and serious laceration hazard to the users of the saw.
No injuries have been reported.
The saw involved in the recall is small and portable, used primarily for wood cutting. The serial numbers of the saws involved in the recalls are 40033594 through 40074108.
They were sold at various retail stores and online from May 2013 to July 2013 for approximately $585. Anyone who owns this circular saw should contact the importer for a free repair or replacement. Festool USA’s toll-free number: (855) 784-9727.
5 Tips to Avoid a Power Tool Accident
Power tool accidents, such as those involving circular saws, may be prevented. Some basic power tool operation safety tips include:
1. Read and understand the tool operation manual. If you don’t, don’t use the product.
2. Wear appropriate and fitted eye gear, such as safety glasses. Many power tool accidents involve eye injuries due to flying objects.
3. Do not operate a power tool when tired or otherwise under the influence of drugs, even prescription drugs.
4. Wear appropriately fitted clothing. Baggy and ill-fitted clothing can easily get caught in equipment.
5. Make sure you operate the tool on sure footing. Many power tool accidents happen when the user slips or falls during operation of the tool.